Friday, May 12, 2017

AMARANTHE: ”Maximalism”

Rating: RRR
Label: Spinefarm
Review by Kimmo Toivonen

I loved the first Amaranthe album. It was the perfect mix of pop melodies and metal crunch. I even tolerated the death metal vocals, when they were combined with the angelic voice of Elize Ryd and the clean vocals of Jake E. With every subsequent album my infatuation with the band has waned a little. This is their fourth effort and while it’s not necessarily any weaker than its’ predecessor, I was hoping for a real shake-up.

I feel that the band is taking more and more influences from the contemporary chart music, Which means that many of these songs have repetetive, melodically uninteresting chant hooks. There are some good songs on ”Maximalism”, but frankly, I wouldn’t include them on a ”Best Of Amaranthe” playlist.

amaranthe.se
https://fi-fi.facebook.com/AmarantheBand/

No comments:

Post a Comment