Tuesday, August 23, 2011

NEONFLY: "Outshine The Sun"


Rating: 8/10

Label: Rising Records 2011

Review by Kimmo Toivonen

Melodic Metal/Power Metal genre has been rather oversaturated for a long time, with most of the new bands lacking in identity. Neonfly are an exception to the rule, as clearly have a style of their own. Okay, they are not doing anything out of this world, but at least they aren't yet another Maiden/Helloween/Manowar copy. They've got some fantastic melodies, interesting arrangements and certain kind of intensity that I find really appealing. Think traditional power metal mixed with modern day metal of Bullet For My Valentine with some prog elements and you're close to the band's sound.

Time flies by when listening to the first five songs of the album. They're all good tracks, but if I had pick just one, I'd say that "A Gift To Remember" is the pick of the bunch thanks to its glorious chorus. The sixth song "The Ornament" is an instrumental, and somehow it ruins the flow of the album. As far as instrumentals go, it's not too bad but I can't help but feel that it's merely an interlude that lasts for too long.

The band pick up things again on the second half of the album. The charmingly titled "Spitting Blood" is one my favourite tracks, with a great, intensive chorus and a perfectly placed key change. I'm left wondering how much vocalist Willy Norton sounds like young Michael Voss (Mad Max, Casanova). With its' oriental flavours, "Morning Star" reminds me a bit of Kamelot, while the (at times) balladic "The Messenger" features yet another fine vocal performance from Norton. Soft, clean, rough and tormented... the guy displays a real rainbow of emotions. Cool keys too, and some tasty shredding there. The last song of the album is a frantic little punk rocker called "I think I saw a U.F.O.", a bit of lighthearted fun after all the darker lyrics.

If you're like me and a bit fed up with the melodic metal genre, don't give up just yet... Neonfly are worth checking out - it's not the same ol' same ol'.

Myspace

Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment